Monday 17 September 2012

I was accosted on the streets just now by a man. He was slender, tall, young enough, but there were white stubs to his day-old beard. Green eyes, Indian, very well dressed: no brands but a far shout away from what  passes as smart around here.

"Do you know," he said, "you have a very lucky face?" Now I haven't slept in three nights, haven't had a breath without a sneeze in two days, am too sick to eat anything since last night and woke up today with a killer pain that shoots from my right ear all the way past my shoulder and doesn't let me turn. I was walking stiffly down the street and I wasn't feeling particularly lucky - nor could I imagine how he could have seen anything remotely lucky in my scowl, and this sparked off a little curiosity. "Have you ever been said this before?"

"No, can't say I have."

"You have a very lucky face. I look in your face you know, and I see good things coming. A big change, and three definite things will get a lot better."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. See, I see that you have two bad problems in your life. Did you know? And that's why you've never been successful in your life, because it's true, isn't it? You've never been successful in you life."

"That's a little harsh."

"It's truth. I'll tell you what they are, why because of this you are always only twenty or thirty percent, never a hundred. One, you think too much, friend. You always worry about little things, it gets in the way. Two, you don't know how to separate the good people from the bad people in your life. Sometimes you'll sit at night and tell all your secrets to somebody you think is a friend and then they are not. Do you know this feeling?"

I said that I didn't.

"Well, you have. I can help you friend. I can make life better for you. Do you want to know more? I can give you proof, friend."

"That's more truth than I can handle in one go, friend, but thank you very much."

"I can give you proof," he said, but I thanked him and turned to go. He waved at me courteously and as I walked away I wondered whether I had proved him wrong or right about knowing who to trust.




No comments:

Post a Comment